View Single Post
Old 11-20-2021, 02:50 AM   #35
OldManMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
What did you use to clean up those pistons? I've got one souvenir piston from my engine before it was rebuilt. It's still on my workbench as it looks like your pistons before you cleaned them up. If I can get my old piston that clean, it will go from my workbench to my desk!

Are you going to check the cylinder bores for roundness, i.e., no ovalization?

Everything looks great!
They got a blast with Carb Cleaner to get most of the oil off and soften the caked on crud. Then 10 mins in an ultrasonic bath with a degreaser at 65 deg C, then removed the piston rings, then another 10mins in the bath

Then soda blasted at 50 psi then 30 psi

They went back into the ultrasonic bath at 30 deg C wit a very mild carb ultrasonic cleaner and they came up like below.

I did start polishing them up with some autosol and a rotary felt pad and then read they are coated so didnt want to polish out the coating. Got into a panic at first as though I had to buy a whole new set of pistons (and still might do mind you) but from what I read they are alloy with an iron coating, so used a weak earth magnet to test the coating is still there and it was on crown and skirts as this weak little magnet was very happy staying on the pistons

Yes, once the casing are cleaned up I will check for roundness and magnaflux test for cracks. I prefer to work with clean components

casings need a good clean first as does everything else too

Last edited by OldManMo; 11-20-2021 at 04:47 AM.
OldManMo is offline   Reply With Quote