View Single Post
Old 11-19-2021, 06:20 AM   #26
OldManMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg305 View Post
Your work looks great, I can't wait to see how this comes out!

I just replaced the variocam guides / cam chains and chain tensioners (The 3 for the ims chain, and b1 and b2 ims to cam - I highly recommend changing them out if there are any signs of reduced tension on the chains (chain slap on startup, etc). While I was seeing some plastic in my oil filter it was a sudden chain noise and raspy? sound to the engine note that had me pulling everything apart. My variocam guides looked similar to yours but were still intact. I do believe the chain noise was because one of my tensioners was failing or had failed). My 01s had 50,300 mi on the clock when I took it apart earlier this year. I did not go as far as removing the heads as you are doing.

Couple of thoughts / questions reading your post.

1. you mention that you "redone all the soft touch paint" - does this mean you had the sport design option with the white / speckle finish? I used testors 1830MT on mine, came close.. but not all the way there.. I had a thread here: New headunit with usb and mic integration Any-rate, I was curious if you have the same which paint you used. In addition to a smuge on the double din that is driving me nuts there are spots on the center console where the original sport design paint has been worn away.. I want to take the console out and respray, but would like to find a closer paint match.
In terms of the soft touch paint, I had the rubbish finish (which was great when it was new) that turns into a gluey gooey gunk

I removed of each part, re-painted with black plastic paint then applied a new soft touch top coat that made them look an feel oooooooohhhhhhh, so nice. Can spend hours just gently stroking each plastic part and rubbing my face against it...velvet....erm....ok forget all that

I removed all plastics on the dash, doors, etc and gave them the same treatment

The top coat I used was this one and when it cures it is super tough as I had to sand a bit back which was near impossible but at the same time it was sooooooooo sooooofffffffttttttt and like velvet

OldManMo is offline   Reply With Quote