View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 06:22 PM   #22
bg305
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Great thread!

Your work looks great, I can't wait to see how this comes out!

I just replaced the variocam guides / cam chains and chain tensioners (The 3 for the ims chain, and b1 and b2 ims to cam - I highly recommend changing them out if there are any signs of reduced tension on the chains (chain slap on startup, etc). While I was seeing some plastic in my oil filter it was a sudden chain noise and raspy? sound to the engine note that had me pulling everything apart. My variocam guides looked similar to yours but were still intact. I do believe the chain noise was because one of my tensioners was failing or had failed). My 01s had 50,300 mi on the clock when I took it apart earlier this year. I did not go as far as removing the heads as you are doing.

Couple of thoughts / questions reading your post.

1. you mention that you "redone all the soft touch paint" - does this mean you had the sport design option with the white / speckle finish? I used testors 1830MT on mine, came close.. but not all the way there.. I had a thread here: New headunit with usb and mic integration Any-rate, I was curious if you have the same which paint you used. In addition to a smuge on the double din that is driving me nuts there are spots on the center console where the original sport design paint has been worn away.. I want to take the console out and respray, but would like to find a closer paint match.

2. You mention the oil gunk in the variocam tensioner, lifters, etc.. I also noticed how "brown" your carrier and the top of the head is. Mine was not like this at all. No oil sludge at all.. I am curious what you find, do you think it is possible there might have been some intermix with coolant at point earlier in the cars life? I saw no sludge anywhere, my variocam tensioners were nice and clean (did not stop me from giving them a good cleaning anyway). And I replaced one questionable lifter.

Here is an image from my engine, 50k on the motor, but it is only 20k miles different.
This one is with the new chain / guides:

this one was taken right after I removed the first bank cover, had not removed anything yet.

BTW, I also snagged the fuel return line dropping the engine but on the ebrake cable.. broke the seals on my injectors and fuel was dripping out. Luckily just getting new seals and re-seating the injectors took care of it.

Your son looks like he is having a blast! I tried to get mine involved (only a year older, 12).. He came down once or twice, was curious about how everything worked, but did not seem motivated to stay with it We do get to share other hobbies though so I can't complain .

Last edited by bg305; 11-18-2021 at 06:48 PM.
bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote