View Single Post
Old 10-22-2021, 04:34 AM   #2
husker boxster

The electricl burning smell is not good, but let's start with 2 basic questions:

Did you use European antifreeze? Mixing regular antifreeze with European blend will cause a serious problem - your mixure becomes a sludge that obviously doesn't flow very well thru the system. I'm not going to get into which brand of Euro antifreeze you should use, as long as you used it vs regular you'll be OK.

Did you 'burp' the system when you added antifreeze or just dump a bunch in and drive? If you didn't burp the system, you could have an air bubble in the system that could be caught in a cyl head. This will cause an overheating issue as a hot spot forms where the bubble is and that can lead to serious / expensive consequences. Don't be driving around for long periods with an overheating issue. Search on 'burp' to find the exact procedure.

If these 2 questions were answered correctly, then you can check the thermostat. Just wanted to start basic and move up the diagnosis chain.

If you're having electrical issues, it would be wise to toss a fire extinguisher in the car. You don't need a car-b-q situation. And hopefully you're not venturing too far from home on your test drives. Last yr when I was bringing my 928 back to life, I just drove around the neighborhood until she proved to be reliable enough to venture further out.

Trust is earned.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 10-22-2021 at 04:43 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote