Thread: P21S vs. S100
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 11:25 AM   #13
RandallNeighbour

Housing is cheaper here... but it's catching up to the rest of the US quickly. So you'll enjoy it the first time you translate your NJ house cash into Houston house cash, but you'll whine like a baby after that.

Now I must also add that in Harris county (in which Houston resides) my property taxes have risen 10% per year like clockwork... and they will only lower them under protest after you prove three different ways that they screwed up and your house isn't worth what they say it is worth.

Having your property taxes double every 7.5 years sucks. On my salary, even saving a bunch of money for retirement each year, I will probably be forced to move out of my home of 35+ years because it has skyrocketed in value (and tax value too) and I can't afford to pay 10k a year (or far, far more) in taxes when I retire. There is no legislation in the works to correct this as of yet... and the lawmakers only see a huge loss of taxpayer income by doing it, so they always make it last on the agenda and they never get around to it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote