View Single Post
Old 10-06-2021, 07:18 AM   #14
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGator View Post
Or watch the video

Only inconsistency I see is I was told to do this from a cold engine and you are saying warm.
Yes well warmed or operating temp.
Very few tests of a system under operation are done (correctly) at other then operating temp.

........To many inconsistencies......

It is not only the temp of all the different types of metals involved.....bearings, valves, lifters, springs, cams, chains, sprockets, etc..etc..
Tolerances change with temp. (expansion, contraction).
But also and perhaps more importantly is oil operating temp. (around 175+ degrees F. I think).
These engines have a large oil capacity so it takes some time to get all that oil up to temp.
The Vario Cam system is operated by oil pressure as are the lifters, so you want that oil temp. (Thus oil pressure) to be as consistent and as close to operational specs. (pressure) as possible.

In "most cases" when doing any kind of operational or diagnostic testing on a system you want that system as close to manufactures specs. and operational conditions as possible.

Think about it... you don't operate the engine cold for anymore then the time it takes to warm it up. On say an hour long drive your at cold state for just a minute or two. The rest of the time temp. is increasing or has reached operating temp for the conditions.
Doesn't really make sense to test it cold.

Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by blue62; 10-06-2021 at 12:49 PM.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote