Thread: spinouts!
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2021, 10:25 AM   #4
Burg Boxster

Only other thing I'll add is... ASK your instructor what happened. We, though sitting right seat, feel most things happen before they do and anticipate what's going to happen.

For instance, I was working with a student couple years back at Mid-O who said he was really struggling w T1... a 'flat' 90 higher speed left hander. True he was, but more importantly he was not smooth in chicane (T2-3) just before keyhole. I was feeding him a little bit on T1 but really trying to focus his concentration on T2-3, the chicane. Why? T1 is really about confidence and trusting the car/track/conditions etc. T2-3, the chicane, is about balance, weight transfer, and control. Sure enough 3rd session a few laps in he started 'getting' T1 but was still upsetting the car T2-3. I congratulated him on getting T1 but cautioned him and said he needs to be extra careful next lap w T2-3 b/c his entry speed to T2-3 was going to be substantially faster now that he 'got' T1.

Guess what happened very next lap? He nailed T1 w precision better than previous lap and we promptly spun and went off after T2 before T3 b/c his upsetting the car was amplified by much higher entry speed.

Good luck, have fun & ask lots of questions of your instructor