Thread: spinouts!
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2021, 10:07 AM   #3
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
husker boxster is an instructor and has lots of experience. I trust his guidance. I'll add this to augment what he said. I'm a novice and I spin. Typically when it happens I have entered the turn too fast, I cut in for a too-early apex and do not have enough traction left in the tires to recover. When I do it wrong, it feels wrong from the instant I start turning.

When I do it right, it feels right. Brake hard coming in and trail off on the brake (smoothly) as I turn - exchanging braking friction for turning friction. Approaching the corner I look to the apex, but in the corner my eyes are ahead on the exit, then ahead to the next section of track. Fixation on the apex ruins me when I let it happen.

Tires matter. Not just what tire, but having the right pressure, age of the tires, and alignment.

Here's a playlist of very old videos that present the basics very clearly starting with tire pressure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0zWLZDCJ_0&list=PLQK00oc6k4iRkIcUCXMZ-wXe_we121CNc