View Single Post
Old 10-01-2021, 07:17 PM   #36
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I got a Fiero. Really. but...

Back to Off Topic. I have never had any respect or love for Fieros. I thought; 1980s GM attempt at making a sports car without really caring about what they sold to customers. According to Wikipedia almost one out of every 500 Fieros produced caught fire. Most of the fires were attributed to connecting rod failure: "60 percent to 90 percent of the rods produced do not exhibit defects." This means at least every 1 out of 10 rods produced were defective and possibly 4 out of 10 were also defective. I could go on, but lets just say that it has never been on my shopping list.

That is, Until a Hollywood stunt car driver posted an ad for a friend's car on another forum. The basic platform is a Fiero, but it is highly modified. This car was used around 2006 - 2010 as a camera car. Dubbed the 'CineRacer' it was used to shoot chase scenes and car commercials. Since it filmed scenes for 'Walker, Texas Ranger: Trial by Fire' I think that it is safe to say that this car is 'Chuck Norris Approved'.

The last job it was on, shooting a commercial at Texas Motor Speedway, the engine started to smoke. After finishing the shoot, it was parked in a warehouse and has sat there ever since. It was offered for $900. The driver's seat costs about $900, the car is 'built', it is complete, it comes with lots of spare and extra parts, it has a cool history, and is enough 'not Fiero' that I really love it. I'm going to get it running properly again and give it a new life. I'm thinking Rallycross car and entering it in next year's Grassroots Motorsports $2,000 Challenge: https://2000challenge.com/ .
I'm not planning a build thread here, but I'll post updates from time to time. Feel free to share Fiero tips and knowledge. I'm not a 'GM guy'. :dance: