View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 05:03 PM   #17
ike84

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCA_AX View Post
I suspect they'll be quite similar to the 944 in which beat cars will trend to $0, mint cars will rise handsomely but not exponentially, and nicely maintained drivers will have a slow, positive price trend.

IMO the 986 in particular has crossed the bottom of the "old used car" mark and is trending up as a nice classic Porsche. Light, MR, NA flat six will be at least somewhat desirable until there's no more gas stations. If it truly is the end of the line, and I could, I'd grab a manual GTS 4.0 or GT4 and stuff it away. That's something that would moonshot.

I'm quite looking forward to enthusiast EV cars. We've gone from curiosities and glorified golf carts to high-end fashion trinkets to legit mainstream competitors pretty quickly. When the niche and enthusiast models come, it'll definitely be different, but it's not going to suck.

I'm most looking forward to the EV equivalent of the Golf GTI myself.
I think this may be a reasonable way to look at it.

You have to remember that pricing is only what people are willing to pay for something. With used sports cars, that usually boils down to performance and legacy. Unfortunately the 986 is lacking in both. The legend here is an economic one - the greatest triumph of these cars is saving Porsche from bankruptcy as JFP said. Mechanically, the m96 and 01a transmissions are not special and even avoidable. Performance is not awful, but it's something that is appreciated by a few people and is only a shade of what Porsche is/was actually capable of.

Prices on everything right now are up. That's not a reflection of future trends though, that's just current economic climate imo. I may be wrong, but who knows. There may be some models of the gas powered boxster that are worth mint in 30 years, but I truly think that enthusiasts will crave this last generation, not the 986 or 987, or the turbo 4s. (True for 996 and 997 also, except the turbo. The mezger engines are legendary, which is why they will always be valuable, but that's a different discussion)

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk