View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #5
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
...The soju is absolutely evil...for some reason I always ended up fully clothed in my shower when I drank that stuff. I loved flying down to Pusan, Gwangju, Jeju do and Kunsan. Gimpo is still there, however they built a giant new airport (forgot the name) west of Seoul. Korean beer leaves a lot to be desired (Hite). Korea was a hoot, but once was enough for me.

Funny story about an F4...I was coming back from my recon track and the airspace around Osan was closed due to a lost F4. I couldn't imagine being lost at 300kts on a 200 mile wide peninsula. The Korean freaked out, wasn't talking on the radio and was flying back and forth trying to figure out where he was. I guess he forgot to thrown on the Tacan and find his way home.

The phantom is one of my favorite airplanes. I have never flown anything like that, would give the left testi to do it though.
Hi,

Yea, I forgot that Kimpo is now Gimpo. Soju is evil, at one 'Graduation' celebration, the ROK guys took me on the town. We started lite, drinking OB Beer (very good actually), then came the Soju... about 3 hrs. later, one of the ROK drivers leaned over to me and with one eye closed asked in broken english, "You know why they call it Soju...?" I said no, "You drink it soju can't stand up!... "

The ROKs were good pilots, but too rigid, not very adaptable if things went south. I loved the Phantom, it was Big, Heavy, Thirsty, a Smoker, the MIGs could turn inside us (if we let them), but it could get you outta dodge in a bigtime hurry! If we didn't wanna play, I could just push to full Mil and leave them in the dust. It could take a lot of damage (from both combat and carrier traps) and still be an airplane.

My only funny story in the Phantom was at Mirimar. We were on a day hop to lead a flight of A4s up to Boeing Field for an avionics upgrade. On the way back, one of the Skyhawks started getting turbine problems and a Fire Warning indicator, even though nothing was visible, not good in a single engine airplane.

The remaining flight was RTB'd and we were vectored to Castle AFB (now closed). Not wanting to declare an emergency to the Air Force, the Shyhawk driver explained his problem and asked approach control for immediate clearance.

They responded by directing us into the pattern and to hold, that they had a B52 declaring an emergency with 1 engine out. My GIB in the back seat immediately responded "Roger Approach, understand, 1 of his 8 engines is out..." after about a 5 sec. silence, Approach came back and gave us immediate clearance...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 11-03-2006 at 06:35 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote