View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 04:28 AM   #3
Rail26

I spent a year there in '04 down at Camp Humphreys. I flew RC-12 guardrails on the North Korean border. The food is good when you didn't get too far from the reservation and eat some weird crap. The soju is absolutely evil...for some reason I always ended up fully clothed in my shower when I drank that stuff. I loved flying down to Pusan, Gwangju, Jeju do and Kunsan. Gimpo is still there, however they built a giant new airport (forgot the name) west of Seoul. Korean beer leaves a lot to be desired (Hite). Korea was a hoot, but once was enough for me.

Funny story about an F4...I was coming back from my recon track and the airspace around Osan was closed due to a lost F4. I couldn't imagine being lost at 300kts on a 200 mile wide peninsula. The Korean freaked out, wasn't talking on the radio and was flying back and forth trying to figure out where he was. I guess he forgot to thrown on the Tacan and find his way home.

The phantom is one of my favorite airplanes. I have never flown anything like that, would give the left testi to do it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

An nyong hi Ka ship sio! Don't knock Korea. I did a hitch there as an IP transitioning ROK pilots from the F-100 Super Sabre to the F4 Phantom at Kimpo, west of Seoul, for the USN. I loved it, the people (especially the women ), the food, the Soju, especially the Soju! Used to take leave seaside in Pusan!

I picked up a passing knowledge of the language, even had my own Han-Bok. I was back in '88 for the Olympics and the city had grown tremendously, but I still loved it.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote