Thread: engine rebuilds
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2021, 09:39 PM   #18
Oldcarguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Oldcarguy, my comments are not intended to offend. Despite my use of the colloquialism, Im trying to look at this situation from an objective point of view A car such as yours probably costs close to $50k to build, right? 15k for the door vehicle, 25k for the moto buildr, and 10k in labor plus additional parts. And what is the end result - a 986 with 8lbs/hp. That is a formidable vehicle! But to what end?

F6I builds never recoup their money at resale (not that I've ever seen, at least), and most every modified porsche depreciates in value compared to their stock brethren.

From a racing standpoint, I don't know about PCA rules, but if you race that vehicle in scca you would be put into the super street modified class. You are up against crazy good competition there! When you line up next to the beefed up z4s and Elise sc's, suddenly your 8:1 isn't so impressive any more.

My point is that these builds are in their own very special niche. And that niche, mind you, is a tiny sliver of an already small population of porsche enthusiasts. For some, such as yourself, a vehicle such as this represents the pinnacle of motor sports excellence. Others, such as myself, would beg to differ.

But hey, what do I know. As my best friend says, I'm nothing more than a redneck with a degree
Hi Ike,

Thanks for your considered response and tone. My 550SE with the Raby engine is my ninth Porsche amongst ownership of many other marques. I’m appreciative of the cars I’ve been fortunate to own but I’m not enamored with any particular brand or model. I’ve also participated in a lot of motorsports across the decades and occasionally still enjoy a random autocross or HPDE. But it’s not the end of the world if I never see track time again.

Respectfully, it’s presumptuous for you to assert that “for some, such as yourself, a vehicle such as this represents the pinnacle of motor sports excellence”. Nothing could be further from the truth. You don’t know anything about me, my experiences, my values, viewpoints or my life journey.

I undertook my 550SE project as a form of self expression. Not to build a track car, a competitive car, an investment car, a formidable car or a pinnacle of anything. I don’t care about impressing anyone with power to weight ratios, value, appearance or any other metric. I undertook this multi year project for me, to create a car built to my specification, modified mostly by my own hands, to realize my vision for a personalized roadster.

Anyway, thanks for the dialog and I’m sure our paths will cross in the forum again.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote