Thread: engine rebuilds
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2021, 11:48 PM   #8
beater986

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
And exactly why do you think they have both a large back log and stiff pricing?

You could always go with Jake's shop if you want to see real back logs and high prices; he was more than a year out last time I checked..............

"Speed cost money; how fast do you want to go?"
Why do I think that is? Being an established vendor with a reputation well-positioned to take advantage of the upswing in these cars value and interest as of late.

When you have people knocking down your door you can be choosy and jack up prices. It’s a function of demand, NOT a function of “actual cost”.

I’m not at all speaking ill of them or their work. But I am skeptical that their margins are slim. These motors aren’t “special” and there’s no reason they should cost any more than any other motor to build outside of the “Porsche tax”.

Personally, I’d rather spend less money at another shop that is equipped to do the same work cheaper but isn’t demanding the premiums an industry recognizable name can.

When I first started my business I had to beg for customers and would do any deal on slim margins. I was still in the phase of building a reputation and had a growth cycle. The customers got a good deal, I wasn’t getting rich, but I could keep the lights on and I was building my brand and customer base. Nowadays I can be choosey about our customers and increase our price margin. In doing so, I’ll be turning away some customers in the same way Jake is turning away customers who can’t justify spending 20k+ on a car that’s worth half of that.
beater986 is offline   Reply With Quote