Thread: engine rebuilds
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
ike84

thanks quad, those were my thoughts exactly.

not really a track car per se...street car driven like one (probably even more punishment)

im starting to seriously gear up for a twin turbo build. if I drop the compression a bit with a thicker head gasket (yes, i know its taboo, please dont freak out about quench), with a good intercooler setup i should be able to run 7-8 psi safely on pump gas. obviously one starts to worry about the internals around that point. but, im not sure if i really need to worry about it at all.

dished pistons would be nice but only to help lower compression, but I can't imagine a custom job would be worth the proce.

i dont know if i need stronger con rods - con rods in the 2.7 are the same for all m96/m97 motors up to 3.4L, meaning that they can take a lot of power. 8psi twin turbo would put out nearly 300ftlbs torque on paper, the top torque spec on any 3.4L m97 is 270, so I am probably going to ok. plus, if i can't upgrade the pistons, the con rods will probably be a waste.

i definitely did think about ovality and taper. i think if thats the case with my motor (or anyone's) then there are going to be limited options for rebuilding outside ln or raby. how often these issues happen though seem to be a bit of a black box.

anyway, id never heard of the carillo rods. i appreciate the info, i will definitely look into them.