View Single Post
Old 08-06-2021, 04:07 AM   #9
elgyqc

Garage
The tensioner pads on Bank 2 have been replaced and I am getting ready to reassemble the valve cover.
Here are the old pads, the outer one on the left is pretty well worn and starting to shed chips of plastic.

The tensioner has to be compressed to remove it from the chain that runs around the camshafts. Rumour has it that there is a special tool (a long screw) available from Porsche. I could not find either a part number or a place to buy it. Other people have used zip ties to hold the tensioner in the compressed position. I tried zip ties but that didn't work well so I made my Special Porsche Tool Replacement. The real tool is a metric size and a LEFT hand thread... you won't find that at the local hardware store. What you will find is 3/16" butterfly screws 4" long. I tapped the bottom of the compression clamp with my 3/16" tap and voila a screw in compressor. I was not sure that the modified threads would be strong enough so added a washer and nut in case the threads pulled out under tension, but they were not necessary for me. I was glad I did this because after changing the pads and starting to install the cams I found an oring that is supposed to be inside one of the pads on the work bench... so the tensioner had to come out again which was a breeze using my Special Porsche Tool Replacement compressor.

Next to hold the cams down I used the beautifully machined cam hold-downs from Newart.

Which clamp the cams while I installed my beautifully machined Special Porsche Tool Replacement #2 which holds the cams down while the valve cover is installed.

1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote