Thread: Clear bra
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 05:36 AM   #4
Dave80GTSi

The previous owner of my car applied a clear bra film to the front bumper fascia, leading edge of the hood, and the front side of the door mirrors. And I really wish he had not done so.

The problem is that the car will continue to collect stone chips, which now will damage the clear film instead of hitting the paint beneath directly. Which of course is the whole idea. But now the clear film looks like it has a bad case of acne.

Not to mention the wax / clay bar build up which occurs at the transition edge between the film and the paint. The line is very visible and obvious, and nothing that I have tried can minimize it.

Paint chips are easily touched up with some color matched paint so to make them far less obvious. But you cannot touch up the clear film with this sort of paint so that it looks anywhere nearly as good.

The long term solution to my problem is to remove the damaged film. But this brings forth concerns of the potential for damaging the paint beneath the film due to too-strong adhesion. So I have decided not to risk this, and instead have learned to live with the car as it is.

It is your car; you should do what you want with it. But my opinion would be to forget about the clear bra film idea.

DM
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote