View Single Post
Old 08-01-2021, 02:12 PM   #30
evtechnician

TDC Cyl 1 and Intake CAM notch position

Hello,
The write up for timing the Camshafts does not seem to match my cars new engine. I have 2.5L VIN A 5th Digit Fits 97-99 PORSCHE BOXSTER 16915409. The engine is on the engine stand.
When I set up TDC cyl 1 ( the closest cylinder to the passenger seat) On the compression stroke I used a compression gauge and watch as the needle moves up and I lock the crank with the 8MM pin at TDC. The notches on the intake cams are pointed "in "not out as the write up suggests. At this point if I look at the Bank 1 exhaust notches they are parallel with the case . The intake notch is almost 90 deg but its pointed in. If I rotate the crank 1 turn the intake cam notch is pointed out at almost 90 deg and the exhaust notches are still parallel. This repeats if I go to bank 2 . Is the write up actually using the exhaust stroke ? Does anyone have the manual from Porsche ? to confirm this , does it matter . The engine was out of a running car. And i was just trying to confirm nothing moved when changed the IMS . I locked the gear behind the IMS flange with treaded screws and everything went smoothly . I just like to verify these things . Being a Porches newbie.
evtechnician is offline   Reply With Quote