Thread: Hard brakes
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 03:39 AM   #8
PLP

Hard? Hard, but when?

Do this.
Pump the brakes when the engine is OFF until the brake pedal fills stiff.
Now, push it a few more times, hard. Does it still travel a bit, but just requiring more force?

Now, keeping your foot on the pedal (normal pressure/force, not too hard, like normal braking situation), start the engine.
The pedal should soften and travel lower.
If it does - you are all GOOD.

Mine are hard as well.
The car stops great. Pedal is hard, but in a sense of having nice and soft travel only to become hard then it starts braking, meaning pads are in contact with rotors and any further force is proportionally translated into barking force. No spongy pedal anymore.

The other side of the hard pedal is the brakes themselves. You got calipers on both sides of the rotors. Each pad has two of them. They push from both sides.
It is better (i.e. easier to operate) than the one caliper situation when the caliper must push and pull the other pad as well via sliders. The whole assembly is a bit soft in a sense it may bend a bit to be felt under the pedal as being softer.

I hope it makes sense.

As for problems with soft pedal - oh well, there are many...

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote