View Single Post
Old 06-24-2021, 04:32 AM   #1
elgyqc

Garage
Going through my original engine

The original engine from my 2000 Boxster is now on the engine stand where I will be renewing the timing chain tensioner pads and any other necessary parts. The engine runs fine but the cam deviations were high so I decided to pull the engine and temporarily replace it with a spare engine that I bought. The details are here
So... I have this spare engine.
Of course I was curious to see the IMS bearing and the clutch which has been sometimes juddering and squawking.
The double row IMSB is in fine shape, lots of old oil leaked out of the IM shaft but the bearing turns smoothly and has no looseness so it will probably stay, with the outer seal removed. That makes 3 IMSBs that I have inspected and all three were in good shape.

The clutch pressure plate came off with difficulty because someone had used the old bolts and one had a stripped head, not impressed. The clutch disk was worn down to the rivets, but just.

The disk and pressure plate are from Italy, rather than the more common Sachs. The pressure plate and flywheel look to be reusable.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)

Last edited by elgyqc; 06-24-2021 at 09:51 AM. Reason: spelling
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote