View Single Post
Old 06-10-2021, 04:52 AM   #1
PLP

Small color change? - repaint the whole car - advise opinion

Repainting the whole car – options and advice needed

Same colour or a slight change?

Paint on my car is neglected. A few dings here and there (no big deal), but a big scratch on the front fender (driver) and burn marks on the rear (very poor paint correction job burned through the clear and damaged the base coat) on the trunk and roof lids. Plus rear bumper problems.

Options I did not choose:
I looked at vinyl wrap, but at 2-4k USD and it will show all imperfection of the body anyway.
I considered plasti dip. I personally hate it and I know that would be the final destination of the car. Reverting it is impossible. Plus it still shows body damage.

I ended up with getting the whole car repainted and fixing all the body issues.

Now, the BIG question.
It is 2003 with body color 747 (regular flat black). It is non-metalic.
I was planning on sticking to OEM, black.
No, I am not changing into yellow… but I was wondering – maybe some metallic black, or dark blue metallic. Something what will not really show difference between door sills, but may look better.

What do you think guys?

Staying with plain black or some small change?
The body shop guy was suggesting some metallic – maybe like new Corollas have, black metallic with small hint of blue. I did not see it, so hard to say.

What I need to add here is that the car will receive a ceramic coating on the top of that so that we can retain the nice gloss.
That is also a factor in the future – which colour will show off better. I personally still think plain black has the highest gloss.

Resale? Not sure I car much about it…

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote