View Single Post
Old 11-01-2006, 05:33 AM   #38
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
MNBoxster:
"The drain plug wrench is common enough, 8mm Allen bit. But, the Oil Filter wrench (74mm, 14 flutes) isn't that common, so I wouldn't expect Jiffy Lube to have one.

Besides needing to torque the Plug and Filter Cannister (37 ft.lbs. and 19 ft.lbs. respectively) could also be a problem, they may not have a torque wrench, let alone an accurate one.

Also, by the book, the Oil needs to drain for at least 20 min. to get the most old oil out and I cannot imaging Jiffy Lube holding a Bay out of service for that long.

But, the biggest concern I would have would be having their guys waving open quarts of Oil around my trunk!..."

Thx Jim. All very good points. I'm scratching the idea. It's either going to be by myself, Porsche dealer, or a non-dealer shop specializing in Porsche. The "by myself" is a problem as I have no light and power in the storage garage.

ukchris, great idea with the Home Depo stairs! Btw, what kind of oil pans do you guys use that are so flat and yet can handle up to 10 qts of oil? And where do you take the old oil? I'm also going to need some pics with exact instructions (hence, the Bentely manual question -- any for the 987 out yet?) including torque levels.

Thanks for all the responses!

Z.
Actually, any auto parts store that sells oil should take your old oil, not questions, although you might need to empty it into a big tank yourself.

The procedure isn't different from any other car. Search the forum under "oil change" and you'll find pictures of the drain plug and filter cannister so you'll immediately know what you're looking at. The torques are probably the same but you might want to call on your local dealers service departments and see if they're nice enough to confirm. Sometimes they are.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote