View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 02:15 PM   #8
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I'm not poor, but I am cheap:

$5.10/qt x 8.75 qt Royal Purple 10w40 => $44.63
$10.85 Mahl oil filter with o-ring and crush washer, ebay => $10.85

Low profile oil pan (no jack required), oil filter wrench, torque wrench, 8mm socket amortized over, lets say 5 oil changes => $14.40

=> $69.88

Blue2000s (and others), don't forget to include the "value of your time" in this equation! I don't want to get too philosophical, but it truly has "value" and should be part of your "value proposition".

For round numbers, someone making $100K/year equates to about $50/hour. I think for even an experienced DIY it take at least an hour to do an oil change on our cars. Especially if you include the time to get out your tools, do the work, clean-up and then drive your oil to a proper reclamation center.

And I am sure there are members on this Forum who earn north of $300-500/hour. So, that DIY oil change becomes very expensive in true value terms.

Sure, you can say that you have the time anyways. And I would agree. It is just a matter of how you want to "invest" the very limited time that we all have after a full work-week and the added pressures of family life, staying in shape, helping a sick family member, or any of the other potential hundreds of demands against our personal time.

And for others still, it is the personal enjoyment they gain from doing a high quality repair or maintenance to their beloved Boxsters. And I get that too.

For me, I could change my own oil, but I rather drive my car an extra hour, or play at the park with my young daughters or share a cup of coffee with my wife at the local java house.

It's all about personal choice. But never under estimate the value of your time!

OK, I am off my soap-box and the door bell keeps ringing. Trick or Treat!!

Last edited by bmussatti; 10-31-2006 at 02:18 PM.