View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 07:38 AM   #7
Stl-986

I question why you are needing these items done.

Clutch - Why do you need a new clutch? You shouldn't need a new flywheel unless the clutch is below the rivets. They want to replace it cause it can't be resurfaced. Should only need to replace it is there is gouging or has too much play in it.

IMS - Wouldn't even bother. Overblown in my opinion. If it isn't broke, dont touch it.

Plug tubes - Easy to do on a Saturday or for a shop to do in a few hours on a lift. Cheap, do it if you are leaking oil or other issues will come up later.

$6 is high I think for a non dealer to do all this work at the same time. Doing the clutch at the same time as the RMS and/or IMS only adds 1 hour of labor, maybe 2. Sounds like they are charging book time for each job as if they were doing them separately not combined.

If you were to do all the work and the next day try to sell the car it wont make it a $17k car (all other things being equal). Would make it maybe a $12k car, but that just depends on what someone is willing to pay.

I would fix any oil leaks and then just drive & enjoy the car. of course it is your money. For me I dont do the IMS on any car I buy or sell. Just doesn't add any value to a car this old. If it blows up, it's cheaper to just pull the engine & put in a different one, but so far haven't had to do that yet.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote