View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 04:42 AM   #18
ike84

At first I ran true straight pipe, terminating in turndowns near the rear bumper (but still under the car). The noise was so loud is was unbearable. Ear plugs were mandatory. Interestingly , even straight piped, there's still a drone! Even with ear muffs (and I wear good gun muffs) I still didn't care for the sound of the engine below 3k rpm because of that drone. In addition to this, the smell was horrendous. I haven't hooked up my afr meter yet but there's no black smoke so I'm assuming I'm not running too rich (it's a 2.7l on 996 tune with 82mm throttle body). But the fumes were just overwhelming at anything under 100mph. This would probably be better if I had terminated the turndowns behind the rear bumper but even with that I would not run it as a daily driver. I've added aftermarket short cats and internal baffles to the pipes, which has helped significantly. The car sounds great and the smell way better, but cruising is still a bit loud. So I'm gonna remove the internal baffles, leave the cats, and add shorty mufflers with the turndowns terminating behind the bumper this weekend.

No numbers yet, but I'm hoping to get it in the dyno in a month or so after the fuel trims have had plenty of time to level out.

Btw, if you're having a pro tuner work on it and you beate to the dyno, ask him to play around with the variocam a bit and see what happens. I wrote up a post about it recently seeing if anyone has tried this yet, but no one has responded. I'm willing to bet that there may be some extra torque to be had by adjusting the disengagement point.

Last edited by ike84; 04-22-2021 at 04:45 AM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote