Thread: 2.5" exhaust
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 05:14 PM   #23
ike84

Time for the update - it took a while to sort out some coolant issues but I've been running the straight pipes for about 50 miles... It's too loud... Way too loud... Like permanent hearing loss by the end of summer too loud. Not only that, but dirty too. At 100mph you don't notice any fumes, but you will reek of fumes every time you drive. This may be because the exhaust terminated under the car and not behind the car, but never the less the whole setup wasn't a good fit for a DD.

So, here's what I've done. I added high flow universal cats at the end of the 2.5" pipes. Quieted things down but my wife still refused to get in the car lol. So I stuffed some bored out internal baffles (db killers) into the pipe before the cat. And now my wife (and I) love it! It's not quiet by any means, still on the loud side (probably will get your name brought up in an HOA meeting) but it's got a phenomenal deep growl and you can have a conversation while standing behind the car.

On an interesting side note, while the car was straight piped, there was still a drone! Exactly where it ought to be - 2-2.8k rpm. Unbelievable! It's clear to me now that this a feature of the engine harmonics and not the exhaust system, and the only way Porsche was able to kill it was with a choked off set of pipes and a gas tank sized muffler. Ahhh the m96 motor, what a marvel of engineering this machine it. If anyone has ever ported their head, I would love to know what effect that had on the drone.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk