View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 12:55 PM   #27
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by john12312 View Post
Thanks to all for the valuable input. After letting the car sit for a couple of days while I cried for help on this forum, I went back and checked the PS fluid level and the dipstick was bone dry although it had registered ok previously. After adding an ounce or so at a time, at the 7th or 8th round, the dipstick showed fluid. Started it up and the engine ran fine and the squealing gone. Blue62 was right about the PS fluid. Must've been air in the system that worked it's way out while it sat. With the car now running I was able to look underneath and saw the dark smoke was a result of some engine cleaner I had sprayed on that hadn't rinsed off the exhaust pipes. Boy did I feel dumb.

Still up in the air about which scanner to get.
It looks like the Durametric can be rented for $50 for a 10 day period so I may try that before buying. Thanks again to all!
Glad to hear you got it sorted.
The hardest part about diagnosing a car problem via the net is that other people can't see it, hear it, feel it, smell it, taste it, talk to it, or have the car talk to them.
A simple thing like not knowing you had sprayed engine cleaner on it during your work can limit diagnosis.
It could have been a key point in helping diagnose the issue.
When you don't have access to the car it is guessing at best
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote