View Single Post
Old 04-11-2021, 01:02 PM   #4
The Rookie

Thought I would post where I got to in case it helps someone else.
The door actuator in the 986 is common with various vw’s so there is a lot of info out there. The most common issue is that the exterior handle stops the lock mechanism ‘reloading’. Unfortunately that wasn’t the problem with my lock either. On the plus side the commonality means replacement lock actuators are cheap. So having tried everything the net had to offer I decided to go drastic.
Parts needed: New actuator, long thin pry bar, spline bit set to remove actuator (check size with other door).
Window down, roof open. I took the interior door card off & removed the foam lining near the actuator. Then I removed the inner window seal that sits on top of the door so I could see the actuator better (it just lifts up). Then I disconnected the various plugs. Next was removing the two nuts holding the exterior handle on (I also removed a metal plate near the actuator so I could get my hand inside the door). Then I disconnected the handle from the actuator (a collar pushes in towards the car allowing a threaded bar to be pushed down) and removed the handle. Looking through the hole from the outside there is a cover on the actuator, held on by a few tiny screws, with the plug sticking out below. I broke this cover off using a pry bar from the top which exposed two small motors. Once the motors & worm screw were removed there was an obvious plastic lever which, with the lightest of touches, moved to unlock the door. Eureka I was in!!
Tim
The Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote