View Single Post
Old 04-03-2021, 04:46 AM   #3
Rob175

It seems that I have the same problem or at least a similar one.

I live in the Chicago area and each winter I move my beautiful 98' Boxster (w/90,000 miles) into a neighbors garage, place it on a battery maintainer and put its car cover on. The garage is attached but not really heated so it does get cold over the winter.

Just yesterday I took it out of it's "winter hybernation" and that's when I had the problem with the key....perhaps TWO problems.

1. The key went in and I started the car, tried to open the front and rear trunks but the levers where still locked. I shut off the car, pulled out the key. (by the way the keyfob's buttons did not work). THEN I tried to put the key back in the slot but it would not go in past the little slot cover "door". After repeated tries it DID go in and I started the car again and drove it out to my home a block away.

2. I always leave the radio on because it shuts of when I turn the car off & PULL OUT THE KEY (it stays on until the key is pulled out)......BUT this time the radio stayed on. I slide the key back in and out but the radio stayed on. HOWEVER. it was parked out in the sun with the top up and within 5 minutes the interior heated up. After that removing the key DID turn the radio off.

SO....I think I might have two issues possibly BOTH related to "COLD"....the key is difficult to insert AND the electronics switch is not working properly.

NOTE:.....I only use the car in the summer when temps are warmer and I NEVER have this problem ALL SUMMER LONG....only each year after winter storage.

Ideas?
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote