View Single Post
Old 03-14-2021, 07:53 AM   #1
AXCM2

Smoke at high revs (5500+)

Yesterday I finally took the Boxster out for a real workout. I was on a fairly tight, technical road that was mostly 2nd gear with some straightaways into 3rd gear. After about 30 minutes of this, and in a particularly tight downhill section where I was near redline, I noticed a considerable amount of white-ish smoke coming from the back of the car. I immediately shifted into 3rd, checked the brakes (they were fine) and looked for any signs of overheating or issues... and nada. She was cruising along comfortably at 3,000 RPM, temp gauge never went past just below 180 (typical for this car), no weird noises, nothing.

Considering I was in an area where there was no cell service, I decided to take it easy for the next few miles and once I got back to an area with cell service, I took her to redline a couple of times, and didn't notice a thing. No smoke, no issue, nothing.

Any ideas on what could have happened? She had been sitting without driving for about 2 weeks if that makes any difference, and I did notice a little more of a smokey start-up than is typical for this car.