View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 05:23 AM   #30
ike84

Hey 10, don't be a dick. There's nothing wrong with saving cash, and if there's a good alternative then most would argue that it's silly to say "ooooh I only use the best porsche products for my 20year old car that's worth $10k"

OP, the issue with most gear oils is that they weren't designed for the setup in our transmissions, which use soft yellow metals (bronze) and in a hypoid arrangement. Royal purple makes one specifically for this type of application and that's what I plan on using during my next oil change, purely because I can have it delivered to my house and not have to drive 3 hours to the closest dealer to buy the factory oil. Some say it works well, others disagree. I don't doubt that the factory is the best (they don't even make the stuff, btw), but the idea that porsche has everything figured out and they know the secret ingredients to make perfect products is crazy.

Oh, and to the post about transmissions being expensive, I hate to break it to you but the 5 speed transmission, better known as an 01a, is considered to be a throw away piece but a lot of euro spec racers and can be harvested off any fwd a4 for a few hundred dollars. But wait, do the audis use porsche transmission oil? Oh damn, what a mess this is........

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk