View Single Post
Old 03-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #64
porschefan76

Garage
Hello all! I think I have some positive news. I want to thank each and every person who chimed in with ideas and helped me through this. I pulled a few posts that I'll quote below, and then get on with what's new!

Post #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
I'd start pulling the fuel injectors, looking at the tips for carbon fouling.

RKAT is the adaptation value near idle.
FRA is the adaptation value under load and further divided into FRAU (lower load range ) and FRAO (higher load range) ranges (perhaps the durametric doesn't display these divisions).

The RKAT values near idle are used to change the length of the injector pulse to account for deviations from ideality (ie intake leaks) to maintain the proper O2 sensor reading. The RKAT value is an additive factor and can deviate by +/- 4.5%. The FRA value is a multiplicative factor and can deviate by 1.32 to 0.70. The positive values or values greater than 1 increase the injector pulse length to account for a lean mixture, and negative values and values less than 1 are to compensate for a rich mixture.
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Minson View Post
I had a 2001 986 as well with the same issue and ran thru all those fixes as well. Have you REPLACED the MAF?? Just an idea.

Here is the 986 DIY playlist of videos I did on my car's issues.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbBMHPz04qDW2lbqUZ4p2yWK9joftSOEO

Brian
HTTP://986Brotherhood.com
Post #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Agree your P1126 is another issue.
Perhaps some form of vacuum leak.
Or MAF sensor but there are ways to test it.
Post #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
I just realized that I said something that doesn't make sense and I am now far more confused. 1126 is lean, but negative fuel trim is the car pulling fuel out. I typed that earlier in a rush and didn't realize what I had said.

But that was the original reason I recommended changing the o2 sensors in the first place - things are pointing to a lean condition but the sensors are reading rich and hence the ecu is pulling fuel.

I'm not sure I'm helping at this point lol. This seems really screwy to me though and I'm not sure I can explain it any further at this point. Sorry dude . I would still check for leaks if you've had every off recently but the continued 1126 when sensors are detecting rich and pulling fuel back has got me thoroughly confused.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Post #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
just curious, could a Dry fuel injector Seal could cause a vacuum leak..?
OK, so the one thing I have not done since replacing the fuel injectors (first BIG change) was unplug the MAF and see what happens. I know, major oversight on my part in retrospect, right?

I found 3 posts of people with P0107 & P1126 at the same time. In all three cases, a new MAF ended up being the fix. So, I unplugged the MAF this morning. Bank 1 & 2 RKAT 0.0 and FRA 0.99 (I don't think they adapt without a MAF) and O2 sensors looking good the whole test drive, she drove like a bat out of hell and wailed like a banshee the way I remembered. Intake funkiness on throttle is gone and oddly enough, some top end noises (valves, chains?) that had me guessing disappeared as well. I've got a new MAF on order and it'll be here Saturday.

So, what I *think* happened was a combination of things. I think I had a leaking bottom o-ring and/or fouling on one of the Bank 1 fuel injectors, because all of the sputtering and intake back firing ceased after they were replaced. I also think I had a failed MAF due to the K&N air filter that I had been meaning to replace but didn't until I had issues. The bad injector had the car sputtering and popping and the bad MAF had us chasing our tail on rich at idle.

I unplugged the MAF before changing the fuel injectors, so I didn't get any change because of injector issues and after changing the injectors, because my MAF appeared to be functioning in Durametric, I never took it back out of the loop.

I will report back on Saturday after I drive it and capture data with the new MAF in, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Regarding the P0107, the ambient pressure sensor is reporting 1010 hPa in Durametric, which corresponds with 1 bar, so that looks to be functioning properly. Right now, the car has codes P0102 and a code for intake air temperature sensor (both are MAF codes, as expected). At the end of the day, I think the only parts changed prematurely may have been the upstream Bosch O2 sensors, but at like $40 each, I will not be complaining!!!

A very sincere thank you again to all of you!!

Last edited by porschefan76; 03-12-2021 at 09:31 AM. Reason: clarified brand of O2 sensor
porschefan76 is offline   Reply With Quote