View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 05:38 AM   #114
z12358

Brucelee:
Now on the NEWER side of the ledger, here is a post from a concurrent thread:

Now that we left logic and common sense to the wolfes... I'm not much into "evidence" fist-fights but here's a pic from a current grin-fest. 200 Porsches aged 1-30 yrs providing copius amounts of joy to their enthusiastic owners. Two full days of high performance driving -- not one "issue". I guess, according to your standards of discourse, I should be able to rest my case now -- of course, until you pound back with more hard hitting "evidence" by reposting the next flat tire "incident" the moment it occurs.

Please do not underestimate the info you can gain from the markets. Do not brush off the high profit margins as insignificant. Your service manager said that the warranty claims were "VERY VERY high", but that Porsche charges a lot for its cars too. Ask yourself, could Porsche be charging such a premium for its cars over DECADES if the frequency and severity of their issues were that outrageous and their designs were that bad? Both sides of the profit margin equation (revenues per car AND cost per car, including warranty claims) are screaming something at you. You only need to listen. Could Yugo and Pinto have simply increased prices in order to increase profit margins and make their businesses viable?

To cut the long story short. For Porsche to be standing behind a 4 year warranty on high performance vehicles with such expensive parts and maintenance AND to have the buying public willingly pay such a premium for their cars is no small feat. There has to be something GOOD going on there, and the "issues" couldn't possibly be that bad. As a confirmation, add to this the free will and the business cases of the third-party extended warranty providers that provide Porsche warranties for prices comparable to Porsche's high-performance peers.

Z.