View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 07:20 AM   #10
The Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
I finished this project up today and everything worked fine on the first try.

18 inches is plenty of length if you are making your own wiring harness rather than buying the premade Volkswagen wires specified in many of the guides.

I can confirm that the molex pins I listed above do work for both ends of your cable. They are a little bit wiggly when you place them inside the gray connector that connects to the cluster, but they do fit correctly with the male pins built into the cluster from an electrical perspective.

Now that I'm done I would say I am very modestly impressed with this hack. I guess it's state of the art for 2001. I suppose it's kind of nice to know the outside temperature and how many miles the box thinks it can go before empty, but overall it's a bit underwhelming now that I actually see it in action...
I am curious... I have a 2001 and understand that a stalk or rocker switch is required to be installed in order to even get the temperature reading.

These are essentially momentary switches though... once I attach a switch (and have the computer activated for OBC) and advance until the temp shows, can I then remove the switch? Will the car show temp then by default next time I start or do I have to use the switch to select it with each restart?
Dave
The Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote