View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 05:08 PM   #8
Biscuits704

Thanks everyone for your time and advice! Took a look yesterday... will report after some quick responses to specific questions/points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Make sure you drive it (hard) before buying to pick up on things that will likely need replacing if they've not yet been done (motor and tranny mount, control arms, track arms, struts, etc.)
Sadly due to snow here, I couldn't drive it hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
What kind of soft-top does it have?

Have you a way to get the winter tires/rims home? S rims/tires aren't small. Took the back of an SUV to get them 200 miles home and take old blankets, towels, cardboard to put between them

What IMS? One you want?
Soft top is black, plastic window. I can get the second set of wheels home no bother. IMSB is LN Engineering, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal1968 View Post
PS...if you decide to sell the hardtop when you buy it...let me know!
Hello! Don't think I'll be selling but will bear than in mind

On to my viewing.

Exterior is fine. Couple of dings and chips, but par for its age, nothing terrible and no accident damage. Dirty and dusty but that's no obstacle.

Couldn't find any fault with interior - no worn leather. Only minor issue is display on the CD220 has seen better days. Chip or two on the plastic handles.

Rims on the car are perfect, apparently the second set of rims/tires is garbage.
Tires on the car are 10yo, so would want to factor replacing those into a negotiation.

Concerns:

- The soft top made a juddering noise and wouldn't go "all the way" (stopped short by 1/2in or so) up or down without some manual encouragement. Could just be in need of some lube in the mechanism due to lack of use, or cold ambient temp, or the fact the roof is stored closed while the hard top is on.
That said, could be cables or motors. Typical P-car conundrum; could be a quick $10/15min fix, or could run into hundreds. And I have no idea which.

- Exhaust rattle first few mins running. I believe this is heat shield, but research says there's a chance the cat could be dismantling itself. Leaning towards former as it does go away quickly.

- CEL apparently comes on after the car has been parked outside in the rain with only the soft top, then clears once things dry out. Had a brief look online on this one, perhaps it needs drains cleared and some WD40/grease on connections, but - as with the top - could be something a lot more expensive.

- Apparently the suspension is fine, but after a long drive can make a grinding noise when hitting the lowered curb to go to driveway. Owner thinks could be bushings.

So in summary, not perfect as I was initially led to believe, but I see potential once cleaned up. Going to research more, talk to my mechanic and see if pricing works out. It's in the ballpark of what's been mentioned above - but I'm not getting a sense of much wiggle room to take the sting out of potential costs for repairs if needed.
If the issues above were easily solved I think it would be an easy decision, but crossing your fingers and hoping things won't be costly isn't really a strategy with Porsches.

I'll keep the thread updated with how it goes. Thanks again for the input
Biscuits704 is offline   Reply With Quote