View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #106
rdancd816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
"Do warranty companies exclude other cars? Maybe like Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus? If so, could it be because of high repair part and labor costs, higher than average repair frequency, or even typical car usage (track vs grocery store runs)? Maybe a mix of all the above?"

Well, yes, I think you have sort of proved my point.

We have been saying all along that the Box is a very expensive car to maintain post warranty. Frequency of repair and avg cost of repair would about account for it.

We never said it was the ONLY car that fit this category.

Specific to Lexus, I would make the following wager.

Take a Lexus V8 and a Porsche flat six and run them the exact same way. I would put a grand up today that says that no matter what, that Lexus engine will last twice as long as the Porsche motor.

I think you are right on the money, I owned a Lexus 300 and put 150K on it with nothing more than scheduled maintanence. No expensive surprises. My Boxter is now 10 years old and it is quite an expensive proposition. I have not had an engine failure or had to deal with an RMS repair but it soaks up a couple hundred on average each month for small, annoying fixes. Mine is one of those extremely low miles cars that can be problematic as it was never driven properly (17,000). I still love the vehicle but am a little surprized by all the flaws and anticipated repairs. (RMS, Converible top cable mechanism, Coolant Tank, Suspension issues, Airbag light and harnesses, etc.) Being a first time Porsche owner whose car was PPI'd I am a bit dissappointed in the lack of the "bulletproof" quality I expected in a car like this. I realize the car is now 10 years old but I have had less issues with an old '86 Fiero GT I own for fun. It's got 86,000 on it and never breaks. No "catches on fire" comments please, Pontiac fixed that problem via recall for free. Anyway I would still not hesitate to buy a good, clean '97 but would advise anyone in that market to be prepared!