Thread: 2.7 swap
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #28
ike84

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You need to read up on Helmholtz resonance technology before call that device a handicap.....................
I'm not sure I understand what you mean - Helmholtz resonance refers to dynamic resonance inside of a closed container with a single point of entry.

I understand the purpose of the valve - it is porsche's version of a variable length intake that utilizes in the concept of longer length results in smoother flow which increases velocity into the valves for enhancement of midrange torque, and but utilizing shorter intakes at low rpms and high rpm in order to decrease overall resistance of the system.

My use of the term handicap simply is a reflection of my doubt about the system's ability to accomplish this task. There would need to be a standing wave whose frequency rises in correspondence with the motor rpm or else the system could actually work in reverse and be pushing air away from the open valves. This would be exceptionally difficult to accomplish since we're talking frequency in the 100hz range. Anything other than perfect synchrony would hurt performance. Hence...handicap.

You seem to be one of the most experienced people in the forum in regards to the form and function of these machines. What do you think about the increased torque output of running a 2.7l on a 2.5l tune without a resonance flapper?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk