View Single Post
Old 01-28-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
elgyqc

Garage
DIY Engine Mount Stop - 9A137525701 ?

I am rebuilding the engine mount that came on the spare engine for my 2000 base that I recently received. The new cylindrical mount is here, I have yet to have it pressed into the carrier. There are supposed to be "Engine Mount Stops" (part number 9A137525701) on either side of the mount... this engine didn't have them. The stops are $30 and you need two of them. $60 US (that's about $90 where I live) is a bit much for 2 pieces of 8mm thick rubber.
Sooo... I started looking around for a piece of rubber tough enough to take the lateral forces that come from the mount and found... an old tire.
My first prototype from the tire's sidewall.

and the factory part

Yes the prototype is upside down, but also because it was taken from a tire sidewall the rubber is too thin on one side and too thick on the other.
My next attempt will be cut from the tread area which as a larger area of uniform thickness and if I can cut off the tread blocks (unfortunately I don't have a bald tire) it should be about 8mm.
Any input is appreciated...
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is online now   Reply With Quote