View Single Post
Old 12-17-2020, 02:51 AM   #29
10/10ths
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

No....

.....I did NOT have my engine rebuilt.

When I bought the car in 2015, FSI performed maintenance work in addition to complete engine builds.

They have since stopped performing regular maintenance work and only build engines for customers these days.

Since I am a previous customer, Jake is using me as a “control sample” for lack of a better term, to see how these engines wear out over time.

He was kind enough to allow me to ship my car to his shop for her five year major maintenance.

He and Lake Speed developed a new oil called GP-1 and I had been running his previously developed oil called DT40.

Jake wanted to use me as a test subject for the GP-1 and since I needed new water pump, AOS, et al, I agreed. So he dropped the sump and completely drained out all of the old oil and R&R’d all my old parts. I also needed a new fuel pump and O2 sensors and other bits. Long list of parts.

Anyway, this Boxster is used for our vacations all over North America. I need her to be absolutely reliable. So Jake replaced the crank angle sensor and all the known failure parts for me as preventative maintenance to ensure another five years of trouble free motoring.

I decided that since the car was already at his shop, and since she was getting all these new parts, I might as well have him dyno tune her while she was there. Why not? It’s only money. I can’t afford one of his badass engines like Old Car Guy, but I had enough coin for the tune and tuneup.

So that’s what happened and the car is awesome.

Not as awesome as Old Car Guy’s I’m sure, but good enough for now.

Cheers.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote