View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 08:23 AM   #51
z12358

"I certainly don't think that there is a Porsche conspiracy - but it's definitely not out in the open for non-Porsche owners."

Common sense suggests that both cannot be true:

1. Either there has been a real and eggregious fault design in Porsche's engines that somehow the media (magazines, forums, publications, TV, radio, consumer advocacy groups, etc. WORLDWIDE) have conveniently "forgotten" about over the last 20 years, and kept it from the buying public, hence a consipracy, OR

2. The fault is perhaps not as big as purported by some -- both in frequency and severity, relative to what's commonly acceptable in the auto industry. Of course, personal closeness to a defect would indeed amplify the negative feelings about the event, and add extra motivation to vent the frustration on a public forum. ("It's not statistics if it happens to you.") But that's far from an objective measure of a product's quality as a whole on a global scale. For objectivity we must go to the market where informed buyers vote with their wallets. Hence the prices paid for Porsches.

Actually, there's a third option that I found not worth mentioning, as it borders on being delusional: That there are only a handful of knowledgable people aware of the full extent of the problem while the media and the rest of the buying public are simply stupid and brainwashed enough to just keep buying and driving defective Porsches.

So which one is it?

Z.