View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 04:13 AM   #47
z12358

Grizzly, your writing reflects enlightnment and depth. I agree 100% with your last few posts here.

Boxtaboy, agree 100% with you, too.

Without getting philosophical, it is fair to say that no design is literally perfect. All cars have their "faults", and the more exotic (expensive) they get, the "faultier" they seem to become. Except in rare occasions, sport cars are not bought as investments. They are a cost item, a toy. It all boils down to whether the joy from the toy is worth the costs of acquiring it and keeping it. The buying public seems to like the equation, hence the prices are where they are. It's not Porsche's fault that it can charge so much for its cars and their maintenance. It can, so it does. Wouldn't anyone?

What Rich and Jim seem to be proposing here is that there is some kind of a conspiracy by Porsche and the media to keep the masses ignorant about some ugly truth about their design. I find that hard to believe. Every person I talk to on the track is aware of the RMS and every possible thing that can go wrong with their cars, and some of these people have had and raced Porsches for the last 20 years AND have a brand spanking new 997 or 987 on order! Somebody must be buying these new and used Porsches and it'd be pretty arrogant to call them all ignorant, uninformed, or just poseurs, I think.

Now once in a while, a guy WILL stretch to buy their dream sports car like a used Porsche, and underestimate the total cost of ownership by a little or a lot. Happens all the time with everything else in life. It's not Porsche's responsibility to lay down the calculations for them, nor to teach them that to truly enjoy a toy they have to leave a very comfortable cushion in their $ cost estimates.

Z.