View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 11:03 AM   #14
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
I've got an 01 2.7 with 46K miles, and the only mechanical problems I've ever had was a leaking coolant tank that was replaced on warranty. No RMS, no shaft failure, nothing. I have friend who has put over 100K on his 00 3.2, and has never had a mechanical issue on his car either.

In fact, this car has been more reliable than my previous car, a Benz CLK.
Hi,

That isn't at all rare. It's not like every Porsche M96 engine is gonna implode. It's just that too many of them do, waay more than should from a manufacturer like Porsche.

In fact, the odds are with you, just not to anywhere near the same degree they are with some other choices out there.

RMS affects only about 1 car in 4 (25%) or 5 (20%), and Intermediate shaft Failure probably (total guesstimate here as no polls or such have been done to my knowledge) seems more like 10%-15%. In other words, having the engine implode on you isn't that rare either, unfortunately.

But considering that in a BMW, MB, Honda, MX-5, Lexus, etc. these odds drop to the low single digit %s, this double-digit % failure rate is waay too high for a car with the Price Point and the provenance of a Porsche. And, it's something potential buyers need to be more aware of, rather than less.

The Hood Badge is very shiney, but the reputation and the facts are much less so. Many Buyers cannot see past the Badge, at least not until the reality and possibility of these failures bites them in the *$$.

A lot of Buyers would willingly sacrifice some of the feeling, exclusivity, provenance, and even performance for the sake of greater reliability. A miata may not measure up exactly to a Boxster, but it doesn't have the potential to drain your wallet nearly so fast either...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-25-2006 at 11:07 AM.