View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 06:44 AM   #13
RandallNeighbour

It would be germane to this thread to bring up two issues:

1. Every time you redline it, your Boxster's computer records it permanently. This gives Porsche the ammo they need when your engine blows out, forcing you to pay for it. My mechanic says that they don't even clear it out (or can't clear it out) after they replace a blown out engine... so you have to carry the sins of the previous owners and the way a previous engine was treated with the car for a lifetime.

2. Power does not increase to the redline and beyond it. In a 2.5 or a 2.7, by the time you hit 6300 RPM or so you've sqeezed all the HP and TQ out of the engine. Going beyond this simply wastes fuel and is unnecessarily hard on your engine.

I've written it here before, and I shall write it again just to remind myself of it...

If I am ever lucky enough to buy a brand new Porsche, I will not sign the papers and take possession of it until I see a PST tool's display myself to insure some idiot on a test drive hasn't repeatedly redlined the car before I bought it. If you ask me, those couple of hundred miles on the Porsches that sit on the lot are the hardest engine miles that car may ever see. Lord knows on a test drive I put my foot in it to see what a car can do, so the next guy is no different!

And yes, I know the factory takes the brand new cars out on a track for a test drive and they probably redline it at least once to see if it can handle it, and that may be on the computer... but if I see 20 or more redlines on a new car with 200 miles on it, I'm afraid I would have to drive away from the dealership in the car I drove there.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 10-25-2006 at 06:47 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote