View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 04:12 AM   #33
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Yes, I never saw the point in hooking up the low speed fans since you can already toggle them on/off by running the AC, and yes it's the same fans, the high or low relays just run them at a different speed.

But you need to be careful with using different OEM switches, they are not all the same internally, so the wiring will be different than how I wrote it up. Most of the OEM switches fall into one of two "types" but there are also some other variations. If you want to use a different switch you need to look at the wiring diagrams in the Bentley manuals to see how the switch is wired internally. I don't think any of the switches with left and right buttons would work with night illumination. The defroster switch I used is basically one button, it doesn't matter if you push the left or right side.. If you don't care about illumination, all the switch has to do is take a 12V input, and send that 12V signal out when you push the switch to trigger the latching relay into the "set" or "reset" position, so you could probably hookup two latching relays with two different functions to one switch.
That's why I went the simple route. One wire from Pin #85 on the relay to a switch... another wire from the switch to ground.

Dunzo.

If there is a reason why people are complicating the setup with relays... looking at wiring diagrams... why would anyone want to do such a simple, simple mod with overkill methods?

Tell me. Thanks!