View Single Post
Old 09-14-2020, 12:38 PM   #10
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beater986 View Post
I'm going to ignore the bit of snark since I understand how the post may come off and I see you've actually contributed some decent information here.
I'm humbled. Truly.

Quote:
Specifically, there is quite a bit of body roll coupled with some under-steer in the front; though the under-steer does not seem to come about consistently.
When I was on a square setup, the car was definitely a bit tail-happy, but in a very predictable and controllable way.
Was that in this car? Are you getting the body roll and under-steer in the same places at the same speed all the time? (you see where I'm going here)

Quote:
I plan on logging more seat time in the car, freshening up the tired old suspension itself which I am sure is shot, and then attempting to further dial in anything else by adding a rear bar.

At this point, I'm attempting to research what shock/spring combos everyone seems to be going with. The PSS9s look like your standard choice, but given this is a daily driver and canyon car, I am unsure if they will be streetable enough. The ROW 030 seems like an option, but for the price maybe Koni FSD? Not sure how those compare.
There are TONS of people on this forum who have MUCH more knowledge and 986-specific experience than I do. (In fact; search just a little bit and you'll find my admission to several major gaffs along the way, haha.) But one thing I've learned to be the absolute BEST advice is the same thing my golf-pro tells me: Until you can repeatable results, don't change ANYTHING. In the driving world, that equates to "make sure your equipment is all working as it should so you have a consistently reliable platform, and learn to drive THAT first. Then address the issues as needed.

Were I you, I'd do exactly as you've said above: freshen-up what you've already got, and get it working correctly first. And, even being the boy-racer around here (notice, I'm not "racer-boy", that's somebody else here, haha) I'd still tell you that the stock 986 components in good working condition will allow just about ANY shenanigans on the street. In my opinion, it's pretty tough to find weaknesses in the 986 (other than hp) until you hit the track. And I'm not one of the slow guys.

NOW: if you're like me, you look at replacing parts as an opportunity to upgrade. I get that, and I'm the same way. You mention coil-overs (PSS9's). again; imho that doesn't make sense unless you're building a focused-on-the-track car.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote