View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 10:19 PM   #1
chromecarz00

Another Intermittent Not starting thread...

I've spent about an hour googling though and haven't found an answer, so - I think it's time to make a post.

I just got my Boxster back a week ago (was living away for about a year and a half) and have experienced this issue again. The symptoms are as follows:

-Ugly "kazoo" noise at startup - starter motor hanging on the flyweek too long, from my diagnosis - needs to be lubricated, possibly replaced?

-Occasionally has a tougher time starting

-After filling gas once, would not crank. 12.5-12.7V on the battery, all lights on the dash, lights went off as though it was trying to start, but no click or crank or anything. I tried jiggling the key, moving the steering wheel all around, etc. I put it into service mode as I thought it could be the starter finally going kaput, and about 10-15 minutes later, it fired up - no jumping, no checking of fuses, no moving - all I did was put the top into service mode.

Now I've seen this could be a number of things - immobilizer, ignition switch, starter, fuses - but I'm hoping that the fact that without doing anything, just a few minutes later it was able to start fine helps narrow it down? If immobilizer, I can do the rubbing alcohol trick. if fuses, I can replace, but if the fuses were out then it wouldn't start later right?

The car is a '98 5-speed Boxster, ~95k miles

In the last 15k miles, I have replaced the ignition switch and battery - so I am more confident that this is ok.

Any advice is appreciated!
chromecarz00 is offline   Reply With Quote