View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 05:11 PM   #1
rockytriton

Unhappy Broke my stereo trying to swap it out.

2000 Boxster S...

I have an after-market stereo, with amps and all that, it is a kenwood and it worked just fine until I tried to put in a new one.

So I tried to put in this pioneer. Removed it, I didn't actually do too much yet but I tried to test power to the new one and it didn't work. So I tried the old one and it no longer works either.

My first thought was fuse, so I check the E1 fuse and everything is A-OK there, even swapped it with the A/C 7.5 fuse to make sure it still worked and it was ok.

So then I break out my multi-meter. I can see the stereo input cable for the kenwood has 3 main input wires. The black ground. The red power and the yellow power.

So I connect my multi-meter to black and red, turn on the car and it gets a solid 12v.

I then try the black and yellow and get nothing.

I've been looking around at all the wires trying to find something that I maybe disconnected on accident but don't see anything yet.

I've seen a couple other inputs that do have a solid 12v with the car off that maybe I can run up to the stereo, but I'm just not sure if I should.

So I guess my main question would be, that yellow wire, I'm assuming it's supposed to be 12v with the car off, am I likely right in assuming this? And if so, should that wire be fused? Or is just the red one fused normally? And would it be dangerous to just run a wire up to it from one of the other places where i see a 12v input?
rockytriton is offline   Reply With Quote