Thread: Crankshaft cage
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 04:46 PM   #5
Dllrd23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
Amazing. I wonder how it`s possible to strip all the headbolt threads. If I stripped one, I`d go back and fix it. Why would you strip the next? And then all?? Also, it requires a LOT of force to pull out all those threads. Crazy.

If you have a drill press you can rebuild those threads yourself. It`s aluminum, not a big deal to drill them and then you can insert timesert, helicoil or similar. However, I don`t think I would go with this option. If one of the threads won`t hold, you will only find out when you tighten the heads down, and if it doesn`t work out you will have to start all over, which is not so straightforward on this engine considering its complexity.

So I would rather go with a new bearing carrier. I`m not sure if the crank and carrier are matched. As for the bearings, there are no different size categories, they are all the same, so I don`t see why the carrier and crankshaft would not be interchangeable, but it`s possible that they are machined together.

Look around in my build thread, I uploaded some pictures when rebuilding the crankshaft/carrier complex, might give you an idea about what to expect.
I think that is solid advice. I don't know why they kept going after 1. When I bought the car everything was in very good shape except for the rear plastic window and some smell from sitting. I had just purchased a mint 99 Boxster with 57K on it and my thought was to build a stock engine and have for a replacement plus all the extra parts (extra wheels for winter tires, etc. After I got into looking closely at the "basket case", I seemed like it had some life left in it and might make for a fun winter project and with the modest profit, I wouldn't need to have a "spare" around maybe sink the money into an upgrade.

I think I will go with a new carrier from Ebay if I can get the seller to come off of his as-is condition. I agree that I don't think the cranks are matched (the cams are) but i think the crank cages are line bored to the same OD as the Main Bearing shells I just can't understand why Porsche would make 2 different main bearings with the only difference being the side the "oilers" or "keepers" are on. Top pic $14 fits my Cage. Bottom Pic $7 fits Ebay cage. Pelican says the both fit a 99. Part numbers match the "Basket case" and the Ebay cage so I think they are both 99's.

Dllrd23 is offline   Reply With Quote