View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 10:00 AM   #8
03b0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
Congrats! Great car, great year, great color. How many miles does it have? Several guys change their own oil and perform minor maintenance on their Boxsters, but I've pretty much had a local shop do mine. Getting to the engine is a bit involved, as you don't just lift the hood. You either get to it from below, or you have to take the top loose, remove the storage bag or box from on top of the engine, undo the fasteners and lift the panel off of the top. The front panel is behind the seats. Once you get those off, then it's still pretty tight getting to everything.

I have a 2001 model and have had a few problems, but nothing major. I have replaced a rear wheel bearing, the driver's door power window regulator, the ignition switch (easy to fix), the front sway bar links, and the fuel pump (that was a fun one). Some of the items needed to be done when I bought the car. I would find a local shop (the dealers can be VERY expensive) and get to know the service manager. Porsche repair places tend not to be high volumn outfits and the regular customers are treated very well. Since you are in Dallas, one of the best places with reasonable shop rates is RUF Autocentre in North Dallas. Hans Hoffman would be the guy to talk to.

These cars are not cheap when it comes to repairs and maintenance, so Porsche ownership isn't for everyone. But owning one can sure make life a lot sweeter.

Welcome to the club. :dance:

the mileage on the car is 16,341. pretty damn low i must say for an 01. but yeah i just found out my finance company offers an extended warranty coverage for my car for only a few bucks more a month. even pays for hotel if i get stranded. sounds pretty good to me. I have gotten it inspected as i am buying it from the porsche dealership here in dallas. everything checks out pretty well.
03b0x is offline   Reply With Quote