View Single Post
Old 08-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #9
Homeoboxter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
Iam a 5 chain..but before I pull cover,..Iam going to change the tensioners and go with a little heavier oil,..if that noise goes away I ll feel good,..if not...then off comes the covers..Or I will pull the engine and rework some stuff...I would love to rebuild a 3.2 and throw it in there ! but not sure I want to spend that much yet ! Thanks Frank
Oh, sorry, I didn`t look at the the year of your car. If it`s a 5-chain, then probably the two small chain pads on the variocam unit are shot. In mine they were totally worn off, one came off from the variocam and the pieces were floating around in the engine. The car was at 100k and jumped timing. If those pads are worn, I don`t think replacing the tensioners will make a difference because those are supporting the long side rails. If you remove the plug over the intake camshaft on the scavanging pump side, you can see the pad (one of the two) and the variocam with a borescope. There`s very little clearance there but it`s visible with a small camera.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote